Thursday, February 2, 2012

Crochet Heart Tutorial

I never really liked Valentine's Day. (I know, some people think this means I'm not a real girl, but I can deal with that.)  I decorate for all the other holidays - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July, etc - but never for Valentines Day.  This year I've decided to change that, at least a little bit.
So I started trying to come up with a fun, creative way I could decorate using things I have around the house. I don't have much pink or red, and, since I have a 2 year old boy, not many hearts either.  I do have an abundance of pink yarn left over from making a baby blanket for my niece. My decorating problems solved! I can crochet pink hearts.  
Now what do I do with those hearts? I could scatter them randomly about the house. I could thread them on some ribbon and make a garland. I could make hanging loops and hang them from all the doorknobs...

Crochet Heart: (small size)
I used medium-4 weight yarn and a size G hook.  Gauge doesn't matter, and this is a great scrap yarn project, so use whatever you have.  (And nothing says a heart has to be pink or red!)

Chain 2
Row 1 (Right side): 3 sc in 2nd chain from hook, turn (3sts)
Row 2: Ch 1 (never counts as a st), 2 sc in first sc, 1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in last sc, turn (5sts)
Row 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in first sc, sc across to last sc, 2 sc in last sc, turn (7sts)
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each sc, turn (7sts)
Rows 5-8: Repeat rows 3-4 (end with 11sts)
Rows 9-10: Ch 1, sc in each sc, turn (11sts)
Row 11: Ch 1, sc2tog, 1 sc in next 3 sc, turn (4sts - leaves last 6 sts unworked)
Row 12: Ch 1, 2 sc2tog, fasten off
 Return to Row 10, skip 1 sc at center, join yarn in next sc
Row 11: Ch 1, sc in next 3 sc, sc2tog, turn (4sts)
Row 12: Ch 1, 2 sc2tog
Edging: Ch 1, sc evenly around entire heart shape, working (1 sc, 1 dc, 1 sc) in base of heart, and 1 sc3tog at the point where the top sections meet at the skipped sc, end with slip stich in first sc, fasten off

(Large Size)
Chain 2
Row 1 (Right side): 3 sc in 2nd chain from hook, turn (3sts)
Row 2: Ch 1 (never counts as a st), sc across, turn (3sts)
Row 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in first sc, sc across, 2 sc in last sc, turn (5 sts)
Row 4: Ch 1, sc across, turn (5 sts)
Rows 5-16: Repeat rows 3-4 (end with 17 sts)
Rows 18-19: Ch 1, sc across, turn (17 sts)
Row 20: Ch 1, sc in next 8 sc, turn (8 sts - leaves last 9 unworked)
Row 21: Ch 1, 1 sc in each sc to last 2 sc, sc2tog, turn (7sts)
Rows 22-23: Repeat row 21 (ends with 5 sts)
Row 24: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next sc, sc2tog, turn (3 sts)
Row 25: Ch1, sc3tog, fasten off
Return to Row 19, skip 1 sc at center, join yarn in next sc
Row 20: Ch 1, sc in each of next 8 sc, turn (8 sts)
Row 21: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in each sc to end, turn (7 sts)
Row 22-23: Repeat row 21 (end with 5 sts)
Row 24: Ch 1, sc2tog, 1 sc in next sc, sc2tog, turn (3 sts)
Row 25: Ch 1, sc3tog
Edging: Ch 1, sc evenly around entire heart shape, working (1sc, 1dc, 1sc) in base of heart and 1 sc3tog at the point where the top sections meet at the skipped sc, end with slip stitch in first sc, fasten off

Have fun with your hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment