Saturday, January 28, 2012

Denim Yarn Tutorial part 2

I must say that I really enjoy the bath mat I made out of my yarn from recycled blue jeans.  It's small - I have a small bathroom - so it only took 2 pairs of jeans (mine and my husband's).  Hope you find fun ways to enjoy your old jeans too!

Denim Yarn Method 2:
Step 2
Step 3
Step 5
  1. Start like Method 1 - lay out a pair of old jeans and cut the legs off at the crotch.
  2. Fold one leg so that the bottom seam is just below the top seam.
  3. Grab your handy rotary cutter or your favorite fabric scissors and cut 1 inch strips starting at the fold and going through the bottom seam but stopping just short of the top seam. DO NOT cut all the way through the leg. (NOTE: Your strips don't have to be 1 inch. They can be any width you determine to be appropriate for your project.)
  4. Open up the jeans leg. You should have a series of loops all connected by the top seam.  Pick up those scissors again and, starting at the far left side loop cut across the seam diagonally to the right. You will be cutting from the left side of the first loop to the left side of the second loop. No cutting on the bottoms of the loops.
  5. Continue cutting diagonally across the seam until all the loops have been separated. You've got yarn!
  6. Make something you'll enjoy :) 
 
The denim rug in process
Comparing the Two Methods:
Both methods have their pros and cons.  Method 2 produces a more even yarn, but sometimes the slubs of Method 1 are fun (especially in rug making).  Method 2 appears to make a longer yarn (of course this could have been because I used it on my husband's jeans and I  used Method 1 on my jeans). However, method 1 can be done entirely with a rotary cutter and goes faster. Whichever method you choose, have fun with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment